If your life was forever changed because of a spinal cord injury (SCI), you are not alone. Every year, there are almost 18,000 new cases of SCI. The most likely victims are men in their early forties; however, anyone can damage their spine in an accident at any age.
Thankfully, those who get hurt through no fault of their own are usually entitled to compensation. Put another way, if you wouldn’t be living with an SCI had someone exercised reasonable care, you probably have grounds for a claim.
Should you choose to file one, it’s wise to seek legal counsel. You have enough to worry about, after all, without having to navigate complex proceedings.
Since not all personal injury attorneys are equipped to represent those living with an SCI, though, you shouldn’t necessarily hire the first lawyer you find.
Instead, you should take advantage of the initial consultation and use it to determine whether you actually want that person representing you. With so much at stake, you’ll be glad you did your due diligence before proceeding.
How Can I Tell If I’ve Found the Right Spinal Cord Injury Attorney?
While you don’t have to hire an SCI specialist, you do want help from someone who is well-versed in SCI claims. For example, they should know how to overcome the kinds of hurdles that most often arise when pursuing compensation for damages stemming from a spinal cord injury.
If you’re wondering precisely how to gauge the kind of counsel an attorney will provide, start by asking the following questions:
- How much of your casework involves spinal cord injuries?
- Have you resolved claims with elements similar to mine? What was their outcome?
- What do you think is the most likely outcome to my claim?
- Is my case likely to go to court?
- What kinds of experts can you consult to put together a compelling case on my behalf?
- How can I reach you if questions or concerns arise?
- How often will you reach out to me to provide a status update on my claim?
- What is your fee structure?
The lawyer’s answers to these questions should let you know whether you can proceed with confidence if you enlist their help. If you leave the consultation with the impression that they’re well-versed in SCI claims and they practice with honesty and integrity, you may have found the right attorney. If, on the other hand, you’re still on the fence, check out some reviews to see what past clients have to say about the quality of counsel they provide.
Call (562) 206-1939 to Speak with a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Long Beach
Your Injuries Are Personal to Me
Did you suffer catastrophic damage to your spinal cord because someone else was being reckless or negligent? For help holding them accountable, turn to the Law Office of Michael D. Waks.
Our compassionate team is available 24/7 to take your call. Let us handle the logistics of your claim so you can focus on your rehabilitation. Call (562) 206-1939 or submit the Contact Form on our website to schedule a free case review with a spinal cord injury lawyer in Long Beach.
- Compensation for Medical Expenses in Personal Injury Claims: California Guidelines - September 27, 2023
- Common Types of Injuries in Slip and Fall Accidents - September 20, 2023
- Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in California and How to Prevent Them - September 13, 2023