A dog bite is a painful and frightening experience. Most dog bites are to the face and can lead to infection, scarring or disfigurement, and can cause severe trauma. If you were attacked, contact Long Beach dog bite lawyer Michael D. Waks for representation.
Michael Waks understands how devastating these injuries can be. They can range from cuts, lacerations, abrasions, crushing wounds, and punctures to fractured bones, disfiguring scars, or even death. Michael and his investigative team will do everything in their power to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. For a free consultation, call (888) 394-1174.
Dog Bites Are More Common Than You Might Think
Many people think that only certain dogs, like pit bulls, can be vicious. In reality, any dog can be dangerous. Over his 30 years in legal practice, dog bite attorney Michael D. Waks has seen all sorts of attack scenarios, and he has an extensive knowledge of the laws that pertain to these cases.
Sadly, children under 10 years of age are at the highest risk for severe dog bite attacks and permanent impairments resulting from that attack. These incidents can cause severe emotional trauma and lifelong physical scarring.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 4 million people are involved in a dog bite accident each year. As a result, almost 885,000 people need medical treatment; tens of thousands require reconstructive surgery.
What Sets Michael D. Waks Apart from Other Law Firms in Long Beach?
What makes a good attorney? And what separates the great from the good? If you were injured in an animal attack, you’re likely asking yourself these questions. The truth is there can be a significant difference between the quality of representation two attorneys provide. Some simply don’t have the resources, litigation experience, or compassion to give your case the attention it deserves.
Below are a few reasons why Michael D. Waks stands out from the rest:
- Tailored Representation: All too often, lawyers treat their clients like they’re just another number. At the Law Office of Michael D. Waks, we know that your financial future may be hinging on the outcome of your case. Michael will treat you and your loved ones with compassion and professionalism at every stage of proceedings and will tailor his legal strategies to the unique circumstances of your claim.
- Honesty: Will my case go to trial? How much is my claim worth? Nearly every claimant asks the same questions early in proceedings, but some dog bite injury attorneys will tell you exactly what you want to hear—not what you need to hear. This will leave you ill-equipped for the struggles ahead, giving you a false sense of confidence when you and your attorney should be collecting evidence to mitigate disputes. Michael D. Waks not only will we provide reliable legal guidance, but he will also give you an honest assessment of your case, highlighting both its strengths and weaknesses.
- Accessibility: Michael will work around your schedule, visiting you at home, in the hospital, or wherever you may be if necessary. Whether you need answers to your claims-related questions or just want an update on your case, you will have a direct line to Michael from day one.
- Litigation Experience: If the insurance company or liable party refuses to agree to a fair settlement, Michael has the litigation experience to represent your interests in court.
Dog Owners Are Often Liable for Injuries Their Dogs Cause
California’s strict liability law makes dog owners legally liable for injuries caused by their dogs regardless of whether the owner was negligent. Your attorney needs only prove that the victim was lawfully on the premises when the dog attacked, the attack was unprovoked, and the dog attack caused an injury. It does not matter if the dog had never attacked anyone before.
Injuries incurred in a dog bite accident may be covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy. Despite the frequency and severity of many attacks, insurance companies come up with dozens of defenses and try to pay victims as little as possible.
How to Estimate the Value of Personal Injury Your Claim
“How much is my case worth?” It’s one of the first questions a client will ask their attorney during the initial consultation. Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee you a specific outcome for your case—no lawyer can.
There are many factors that could influence the duration and the potential recovery of a case. Michael Waks will first need to investigate your claim thoroughly before he can approximate a fair settlement for the damages you’ve incurred.
Below are a few factors that could impact the potential settlement:
- Medical Bills: Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may have racked up a small fortune in medical expenses. While insurance policies may cover a percentage of these bills, you could be forced to cover copays, the deductible, and other costs. Fortunately, if your injuries were caused by a dog bite, you might be able to seek compensation for such losses. Your lawyer can consider both past and future medical expenses when estimating the settlement value.
- Pain and Suffering: Dog attack victims often suffer tremendous physical pain and emotional trauma. Scarring and disfigurement are common in these cases. As such, it’s not uncommon for claimants to walk away with substantial awards for pain and suffering.
- Lost Earnings: If your injuries kept you from working, the value of these lost wages could be factored into the potential recovery. In the event that your injuries have limited your earning capacity—for instance, you will not be able to do your job again in the near future—you may be able to seek compensation for loss of future earnings, too.
- Other Injury-Related Expenses: The potential recovery isn’t just limited to the direct expenses linked to your injuries. For instance, if your personal property was damaged in the accident, you might be reimbursed for the cost of repairs or replacement. Alternatively, if you had to hire a nanny to take care of your children while you were recovering, your Long Beach dog bite attorney may factor in these expenses when estimating a fair settlement.
Michael D. Waks is a skilled dog bite lawyer who understands how to fight for the highest compensation in these cases. He has the knowledge, experience, and resources to develop a strong dog bite claim. Call (888) 394-1174 to discuss your case in a free consultation.
Contact a Dog Bite Attorney in Long Beach, CA for a Free Consultation
Attorney Michael D. Waks resolutely believes that every personal injury victim deserves compassionate and tenacious representation—no matter how big or small their claim. As a result, he has devoted his career to helping the injured recover the compensation they need to get back on their feet.
Contact our office to set up a free case evaluation. During the consultation, Michael can review your situation, discuss potential outcomes for your claim, and share some of the methods he will employ to help you recover the maximum compensation.
Long Beach dog bite lawyer Michael D. Waks has more than 38 years of experience handling personal injury claims, equipping him with the skills and resources necessary to succeed at every step of the proceedings. For a free case review, you can reach Michael at (888) 394-1174.