Bicycling has increased in popularity across California, but with more riders on two wheels comes a higher number of crashes. Michael D. Waks is a bicycle accident lawyer in Long Beach who has many years of experience helping injured cyclists fight for the compensation they need to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
With more than three decades in legal practice and millions won for clients, Michael D. Waks knows what it takes to prevail in these cases. Call (888) 394-1174 today for a free consultation.
Bicycle Accidents Are More Common Than You Think
Cyclists are at constant risk of serious injuries when they ride alongside traffic. As a bicycle accident attorney in Long Beach, Michael Waks has seen firsthand the devastation that these collisions can cause.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, California leads the nation in bicycle fatalities. In fact, the statistics are staggering:
- A bicyclist is fatally injured every 6 hours
- Nearly 1 million children are injured each year in bike accidents
- 40% of all bicycle fatalities occur to children under the age of 16
- Head injuries from bicycle accidents account for 75% of all serious injuries and deaths
- While collisions between bicycles and cars account for only 1/3 of accidents, they account for the majority of catastrophic injuries
If you need help after a bicycling accident that led to an injury, or you lost a loved one and need to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit, you can rely on the expertise of the Law Office of Michael D. Waks.
How Bike Injuries Happen
Bicycle wrecks occur most often when drivers fail to see the rider or yield the right of way. In many cases, the driver is distracted, texting, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. In some cases, a driver simply does not look and sideswipes the rider when changing lanes or turning.
The resulting injuries are often permanent and can radically alter the victim’s life. Long Beach bicycle accident lawyer Michael D. Waks can review the facts of your case, assess your medical records, estimate your damages, and help you fight for fair compensation.
Damages in California Personal Injury Cases
There are two distinct categories of damages that may be available to plaintiffs in a personal injury case: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages cover the accident victim’s past and future economic and non-economic losses. Punitive damages are awarded with the intention of punishing the defendant and to deter similar misconduct.
Below is a list of compensatory damages that may be available to you if you were injured in a bicycle accident in Long Beach:
- Lost Earnings: The income lost in the wake of a serious accident can often be just as costly as medical bills and other accident-related expenses combined. As such, you may include lost past and future wages as part of your claim.
- Lost Earning Capacity: Permanent injuries and disabilities will often prevent accident victims from returning to the same line of work they were in before the accident. This can straddle them and their loved ones with immense stress and financial uncertainty, an unbearable situation for most families in the country. Attorney Michael D. Waks can consult with financial and vocational expert witnesses to make sure your claim includes compensation for your lost earning potential, if warranted.
- Pain and Suffering: These are non-economic damages for physical pain and mental suffering caused by another party’s negligence.
- Loss of Life Enjoyment: If you are unable to engage in certain activities that brought you joy before your injury, such as your favorite pastimes, quality time with your children, or volunteer activities, you may be entitled to compensation for loss of life enjoyment under California law.
- Medical Treatment: Your potential recovery can account for not just the medical bills you’ve accrued thus far, but also the additional medical expenses you are likely to incur in the future as a result of your injuries. To prove these damages, your bicycle accident attorney may use X-rays and other diagnostic imaging, receipts and invoices for medical care, prescription drug records, your journal about your recovery, photos of your injuries, and medical expert witness deposition.
- Property Repairs: The expense of fixing or replacing your bicycle or other damaged property may be covered in the settlement.
- Other Accident-Related Expenses: Most accident victims focus primarily on the upfront costs like medical care, but there are many other injury-related expenses that can put a dent in your savings. Home and vehicle modifications, home care, and other expenses can also be included in your claim.
Let the Law Office of Michael D. Waks ensure your rights are protected. Call (888) 394-1174 to discuss your case.
Contact a Long Beach California Bicycle Accident Attorney for a Free Consultation
Michael D. Waks intimately understands the pain, grief, and suffering that a serious bicycle accident can bring. It’s why he has devoted his career to helping victims recover compensation for injuries caused by someone else’s actions.
After assessing your claim during a free consultation, bicycle accident attorney Michael D. Waks can perform an in-depth investigation to determine the most tactical way to seek damages from the at-fault parties. With more than 38 years of experience handling personal injury and wrongful death claims, Michael D. Waks has helped his clients win multiple six- and seven-figure verdicts and settlements. To book a free case evaluation, contact us today at (888) 394-1174.