Distracted drivers tend to leave a lot of devastation in their wake. Sadly, distracted driving has become a growing problem on our roads, and many innocent victims are left to pick up the pieces after getting hurt in a crash caused by someone else’s careless behavior.
If you or a loved one was struck by a motorist who wasn’t paying attention, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure what to do next. Thankfully, a resourceful lawyer can help. With the right strategy, you may even be able to secure compensation for all the losses you end up incurring.
The first step to building a solid claim with help from an attorney is scheduling an initial consultation. During this meeting, the lawyer will assess your case, so they can explain your rights and options.
To ensure it’s as productive as possible, here are a few steps you can take to prepare for it:
- Gather all relevant documentation that applies to the accident or its aftermath. Examples include police reports, medical records, and property damage evaluations. These documents will inevitably serve as the foundation on which you build your claim. What’s more, they’ll give your attorney a starting point for their investigation.
- Write down a detailed account of what happened, including the date, time, location, flow of traffic, and weather conditions. No detail is too small to include.
- Make a list of all the expenses you’ve incurred since the distracted driving accident that you wouldn’t have had to cover had you not gotten hurt. This might include office copays, property repairs, medical equipment expenses, and the cost of reasonably necessary replacement services. If you’ve been unable to work because of your injuries, you should also track every missed paycheck. All such losses are recoverable under California tort law.
- Compile any evidence you gathered before leaving the scene, like photographs of the wreckage, eyewitness statements, and dash camera footage.
- Keep a daily journal. Detailed entries about how your injuries are hurting your quality of life will help your attorney gauge the extent of your non-economic damages like pain and suffering.
- Record a list of questions for the firm. If you have grounds for a claim, you’ll get the chance to ask questions at the end of the meeting. Use this time to determine whether you want to proceed with the firm’s representation.
Discuss Your Claim with a Distracted Driving Accident Attorney in Long Beach
Your Injuries Are Personal to Me
If you or a loved one was hurt in a distracted driving car accident, turn to the Law Office of Michael D. Waks. With our strategic counsel and compassionate support, you can focus on your recovery and get back to living your life to the fullest. Call (562) 206-1939 or submit our Contact Form to schedule a free initial consultation with a car accident lawyer in Long Beach.
Download Our Car Accident Emergency Response .PDF
If you find yourself involved in another car accident, it’s important to document the scene thoroughly. In the chaos that often follows a crash, it can be challenging to know where to begin. To assist you in these moments, we have created a Car Accident Emergency Response guide. It’s a .pdf that can be downloaded for free and kept in your vehicle for quick reference in case of an accident. Click HERE to access it now.