Whether you are on a business trip or enjoying a family vacation, being injured in a hotel slip and fall accident can spoil your plans and put your life on hold while you recover. We expect hotels to be safe. We want to enjoy comfortable rooms, restaurants and amenities that are free from hazards.
California hotels have a high standard of excellence, but sometimes hotel slip and fall accidents occur regardless of the hotel chain or the hotel’s reputation. If a hotel breaches its duty to keep guests safe, the hotel can be held legally responsible for injuries resulting from its carelessness or neglect.
Duty of Hotels to Prevent Hotel Slip and Fall Accidents
Under California premises liability law, hotel guests are considered invitees who are entitled to a high degree of protection. A hotel is required to take reasonable steps to correct hazards and/or warn guests about hazards that can cause hotel slip and fall accidents.
In general, hotels have a duty to:
- inspect the premises
- exercise care for the safety and security of its guests
- protect guests from harm from other guests and non-guests
- correct hazards on the premises or warn guests of their existence
- keep steps dry and unobstructed
- control insect infestation
- exercise care in hiring hotel staff
- maintain locks and other safety devises
Two terms are basic in determining whether a hotel has breeched its duty of care – foreseeable and reasonable. Even though a hotel has a legal duty of care to protect guests from harm, it doesn’t have a duty to prevent all harm. The hotel’s duty is to protect guests from harm that could reasonably happen. Foreseeable harm is one that a hotel knows, or should know, could occur if the hotel takes certain actions, or fails to take action. When a hotel’s act or omission results in injury to a guest, it is considered negligence.
Types of Hotel Slip and Fall Accidents
Hotel slip and fall accidents can be complicated because the victim must prove the hotel was negligent in allowing the conditions that caused the accident to exist. Hotels can be held liable for negligent design and construction, inadequate lighting, and poor maintenance of the property.
Dangerous conditions that lead to hotel slip and fall accidents include:
- Pool ladders and diving boards that are in disrepair
- Blocked or cluttered walkways
- Bad lighting
- Loose or worn carpet or other flooring hazards
- Slippery or wet floors
- Uneven sidewalks, floors or other surfaces
- Damaged, missing or short railings
- Poorly designed ramps or stairs
Contact an Experienced Long Beach Slip and Fall Attorney to Assist You with Your Claim
“Your Injuries are Personal to Me”
My law practice exclusively represents personal injury victims and does so with a deep understanding of their suffering and an absolute commitment to their recovery. I take your injuries personally, and that is why I directly handle all aspects of every case to ensure that you receive maximum compensation.
Call the Law Office of Michael D. Waks at 888-394-1174 or use the convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. You are under no obligation and you will never pay any money unless you recover damages for your injuries. I offer bilingual services as part of my comprehensive approach to legal representation and I am available 24/7 to talk to you about your case.
- How to Help Your Loved One Cope with a Spinal Cord Injury - October 27, 2021
- How Can I Prove a Motorist Fell Asleep in Traffic? - October 20, 2021
- Filing a Truck Accident Claim? Avoid These Common Mistakes - October 13, 2021